A new development that has gained popularity during the last few years, has been the introduction of lightweight concrete as a material for roof decking and as an insulation system. This new application provides a variety of economic and environmental advantages:
- Lightweight insulated concrete provides consistency in compressive strength and density.
- Properly installed, LWIC roofs can achieve the proper slope without the necessity of tapered roof insulation systems.
- These roofs provide a thermal R-value of R-30.
- Since these roofs are an integral part of the building structure, when remedial care is needed, only the membrane must be removed – the concrete acts as the insulation. This means that removal costs are significantly reduced – and removal costs can comprise as much as 50 percent of any roof rehabilitation project.
- LWIC roofs reduce the dead load of a structure.